home updates map photos alsappers contact about  

Sheridan Ski Club Jump

Late 1940s

Name of Ski Area: Sheridan Ski Club Jump (true name not known)
Location: Cordova, between the residences of Bertha Smith and the Landaluce's
Type of Area: Ski Jump
Dates of Operation: Late 1940s to ????
Who Built It?: Sheridan Ski Club
Jump Size:


Lifts: Unknown
Facilities: Unknown
Miscellaneous: Not much is known about this lost ski jump except information from the Cordova Times article that Rita King wrote (see below).

The Sheridan Ski Club was formed in 1948.

Sources of Information:

Rita King


Does anyone have pictures of current area where the Sheridan Ski Club Ski Jump existed that they would like to contribute to ALSAP ?

~  MAPS  ~

This large scale shows the location of Cordova.  Cordova is on the east side of Prince William Sound.  No roads lead from major Cordova to the road system.  Access is by air or water (or a very long ski from Valdez).

(click on this map to expand it)

topo_cordova.jpg (144922 bytes)

This zoomed in topo map shows the layout of Cordova and the lift of the Mount Eyak ski hill.  This map will be updated when more information about early ski sites at Cordova is acquired.

(click on this map to expand it)

topo_zoom_cordova.jpg (118971 bytes)

Links to other Cordova Lost Ski Sites: Golden Stairs
Sheridan Ski Club First Rope Tow
Sheridan Ski Club Jump
Tripod Hill Ski Trails
Research Correspondence 
[Rita King - Special to the Cordova Times, date unknown]

Sheridan Ski Club Stretches Way Back

As Sheridan  Ski Club members prepared for their annual ski, skate and snowboard swap meet this month, they look back on a long history of skiing the slopes of Mt.Eyak.

A little history:  The first ski club was formed about 1920.  Skiing was done above the Golden Stairs near the reservoir.  In the late 40's, a ski jump was made between what is today Bertha Smith's and the Landaluce houses.

In 1948, the Sheridan Ski Club was started  Skiers Lawrence Barr, Johnny Hoover, Jack Dineen and Vince Addington set up a rope tow near the old wooden dam by the present-day Mews Apartments.  The club even had a lighted hill for nighttime skiing.

The next improvement came in 1966, when Fred Pettingill got a car chassis to work for a rope tow.  That same rope tow is still used today on the bunny hill at Mount Eyak.

In 1973, the City of Cordova got a $95,000 grand from BOR and a $52,000 grant from the Roads and Trails Grant fund.  These grants, plus the city's commitment of funds and the Sheridan Ski Club's contributions of approximately $29,000 and volunteer labor, were used to construct present-day facilities.

The single chairlift was purchased from Sun Valley, Idaho, and transported by train to Seattle, then by ferry to Cordova.  The Sheridan Ski Club painted the towers and repaired the chairs before the army used its helicopters to put the towers in place in 1974.

The City of Cordova and the Sheridan Ski Club have worked together since then to maintain and improve Mount Eyak.  together they provide for many healthy hours of fun and physical activity for Cordova residents of all ages and all abilities.  Certification and yearly refresher courses for the National Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Training are also provided for Mount Eyak's volunteer ski patrol.



Do you have further information, stories or pictures that you would like to contribute about this ski area?