home updates map photos alsappers contact about  

Fire Island AFS Ski Area

1957 to 1979

Name of Ski Area: Fire Island AFS Ski Area; "Breakneck Hill"
Location: On Fire Island in Cook Inlet, 5 Miles West of Anchorage.  On the hill at the southern edge of the old USAF/FAA radar station.
Type of Area: Ski Hill / Toboggan Run
Dates of Operation: 1957 to 1979 (the lift was built in 1965)
Who Built It?: USAF (The United States Air Force, by volunteers in their spare time) 
Base/Top/ Vertical Drop: Base ~50', Top: ~300', Vertical: ~250'
Lifts: 1 rope tow, ~800 feet in length
Facilities: Warm-up cabin, tow motor shed, storage shed
Miscellaneous: See history article and email correspondence below.

Prior to the lift being built in 1965, skiing was done on the POL (Petroleum, Oil and Lubricants) Line from the main complex down to the motor pool.

Sources of Information: Tim Kelley; Jerry Brookman; Charlie Muhs; Jim Vrooman; Sharon Ross and Mark Kelliher; Ken Odsather; Dave Hanneman; The Online Air-Defense Radar Museum, www.radomes.org/museum/; Dave Gross; Norm Odsather; Tony Hartt; Michael Forrester; Mike Kelly; Jud Bleser; Daryl Butcher; Paul Maxwell; Larry W. Marbach; Terry Talbot; Wayne Pavich
Photos: Does anyone have old pictures of skiing at Fire Island that they would like to contribute ?
A HUGE thanks goes out to Dave Gross!  On 08 January 2005 we received an email from Dave that explained when and by whom this ski area was built (see his email below the picture).  This was a missing piece of the Fire Island AFS Ski Area history puzzle that we needed.  The picture below is courtesy of Dave Gross.  These men are in front of the warming cabin, at the top of the ski slope, that was just completed.  Very nice workmanship indeed!!

Pictured below are: Jay McIntyre [computer maintenance]; Bill Norton [computer maintenance]; Dave Gross [radar maintenance] and Mike Guerin [computer maintenance]. 

[Dave Gross - 08 January 2005 email excerpt]

I was stationed at Fire Island from June 65 to June 66 and remember the ski slope very well.  It was completed just before the snow came in the fall of 65.  The entire project, slope, tow shed and warming cabin was completed by volunteers working in their spare time.  The guidance for the project was provided by TSGT Richard Peasley who was in charge of the Civil Engineering's heavy equipment section. The earth-moving work involved was done using their bulldozers, etc, and the fabrication and welding for the lift was done in the CE shop using mostly scrounged materials.  The cabin at the top was finished from locally obtained materials...I don't remember who was responsible for that part of the project, but I was amazed at the workmanship involved.  Though not a skier myself, I spent a lot of time watching some of the guys fly down that hill.  Dick Peasley lives about 90 miles east of me here on the coast of Maine and I run across him every so often.  Another friend who was there with me lives in California and has a few pics of the site.....I regret that all my photos of Fire Island were lost some time ago...I had a lot of them as I was the official photographer for the squadron.  I am attaching a photo of four of us at the front of the warming cabin....I am third from the left.   If I can help you further, please let me know, and thanks so much for bringing back memories of a special time in my life.

Regards, Dave Gross

1968 Photos by Paul Maxwell
"Breakneck Hill" Ski Slope Rules Paul at the top of the slope with the edge of the cabin on the right and the brown storage tank is visible through the trees.  The tow rope was working as you can see Paul is wearing a ‘lift belt’. From the top of the slope looking down. Tow rope and lights are visible on the left side. "Breakneck Hill" Sign
Warm-up cabin Night skiing at "Breakneck Hill" at the Fire Island AFS
Radar site ...the top of the slope was just to the left of the two tanks visible in the lower left had corner of the picture.  Also, notice the ice rink in the lower left of the picture. From a hill near West Point looking back toward the site and the ski slope. Warm-up cabin and storage shed Frank Judas standing on ski slope with camera tilted to show the angle
Can't wait until it snows again!

Paul Maxwell story about the Fire Island Ski Hill:  "We had a guy from Louisiana that I don’t think ever saw snow before.  He was athletic and after watching us for a while thought he would try and master skiing.  He went and got some skis, boots and poles and came back to the top of the hill.  He put everything on and stood at the top of the hill, refusing any advice we tried to give him.  He pointed his skis down hill and pushed off.  It was amazing that he was able to keep his balance while he raced straight down the middle of the slope.  I have no idea how fast he was going when he got to the bottom but it was very fast.  Not knowing how to stop he raced across the stopping area, up and over the berm at the edge of the clearing and went airborne into the woods.  Expecting the worst we all went racing toward the bottom but before we could get there he came walking out of the woods carrying his skis, seemingly no worst for the wear.  After a bit of nervous laughter he walked back up the slope, turned in his skis and left.  I never saw him on the ski slope again."

1965-66 Photos by Larry W. Marbach
View of newly created Fire Island ski slope The newly constructed ski cabin Another view of the new ski slope.
The men at the chopper are l-r Tom Kephart, R Dickerson, M. Davidson, and Mack Helicopter transport to Elmendorf AFB Winter sunset over the ski slope
Views east, looking at Turnagain Arm   Larry Marbach at Fire Island barracks
1965-66 Photos by Terry Talbot
A good photograph of the ski hill.
Ski cabin. Catching air on a backcountry jump on Fire Island. The "Breakneck Hill" ski hill sign.
Inside the ski cabin. Fire Island skiers. See story below ...

[Terry Talbot - April 2012 emails] I was stationed on fire Island from December 1965 to December 1966. I have pictures of the ski slope and have much information about the slope. My room mate and I were about the only ones to use the slope during the year I was there. He and I spent two days trail blazing a ski trail just right of the ski slope to provide a more challenging ski experience. Additionally, there was a toboggan run to the far right of the ski slope that was seldom used by anyone.  I maintained the slope and the jeep engine that operated the rope tow. 

The activity officer gave us the key to the rope tow engine and the cabin on the slope as well as a key to the supply room where several sets of Head skis and Gresvig boots were kept and available for checkout. I am amazed at the pictures that have been displayed on the web site, it immediately took me back to those days. I have a few pictures of the slope the cabin (both outside shots as well as inside shots).  I would be happy to share them with anyone that would like to see them and answer any questions anyone might have about the slope as well as the facility.

The only picture I will explain is the one of me looking like I am taking pills. Just behind my head you will notice a hangman's noose. When an airman first arrived on the island, to serve his one year remote duty, he obviously had the most time before his rotation out. The tradition was to present the newly arrived airman with a hangman's noose, which he was required to display in his room, to indicate that he was "hung" with the most time left to do on the Island. He was also presented with a very small hangman's noose that he was required to display on his uniform at all times. The airman that presented you with the hangman's noose when you arrived, was the one who was "hung" prior to your arrival. It was a fun tradition.  Terry Talbot  A1C USAF


This picture of Jud Bleser was taken in 1969.  To the north of Jud (right above his head) you can see the Fire Island Air Force Station.  The white swath of snow just below the radar installation is the ski hill.

[Photo credit: Jud Bleser]

Pictures of the Fire Island Ski Area (Summer 2004)
[Photo credits: Tim Kelley & Tammy Thiele]

The rope tow towers ...
Dscn0091.jpg (103729 bytes)

It took plenty of bushwhacking to find the old ski area.  We got within 100 feet of the cabin at the top of the ski hill - but it stayed hidden in the brush.  The anchor pulley at the bottom of the lift was the first find.  

There were 9 poles leading up through the alder jungle.  On top of the poles there were welded conduit sections for lights.

Dscn0093.jpg (125397 bytes) FireIsTrip2024.jpg (102399 bytes)

Some of the poles still had remnants of the tow rope.  And some still had lights in place (rightmost picture).

The lift was right next to a large earthen berm, which would have protected skiers from Turnagain Arm southeast winds.

FireIsTrip2026.jpg (133730 bytes) FireIsTrip2029.jpg (122546 bytes)

The ski hill ...

Dscn0096.jpg (136594 bytes)

The ski hill has a vertical rise of 200 feet or so.  It's pretty grown in after 25 years of abandonment.  Animal traffic (moose and bear) keep a trail open up the middle of the hill.  In the spring you could still ski this hill.  That is - if you are a spring skiing nut !!! 

FireIsTrip2025.jpg (129053 bytes)  

The rope tow engine ...

A windowless metal shed houses the rope tow engine, windlass rope pullies and a large reel for summer storage of the tow rope.

The rightmost pictures shows the safety shutoff ... which apparently didn't work during the last years this lift was used (see article below).

FireIsland3013.jpg (118535 bytes) FireIsland3014.jpg (81473 bytes)

The following pictures show what you find when you enter the tow engine shed.

FireIsland3015.jpg (108323 bytes) FireIsland3023.jpg (73271 bytes) FireIsTrip2030.jpg (80803 bytes) FireIsland3016.jpg (94541 bytes)
FireIsland3017.jpg (87700 bytes) FireIsland3020.jpg (86098 bytes)

The picture to the right shows the throttle control of the lift.  It was set to mid throttle - so families with small kids may have been the last to use this lift?!?  For serious skiers there would have only been one setting - throttle on FULL !!

FireIsland3022.jpg (67946 bytes)

The warm-up cabin ...

It was exciting to make this unexpected find - the old warm-up cabin.  It was in decent shape still.  The cabin had been chinked.  A metal plate with "205" stamped on it may have been a remnant of military labeling of facilities on the island.

FireIsTrip2037.jpg (99731 bytes) FireIsTrip2036.jpg (72343 bytes) FireIsland3006.jpg (63567 bytes)

Inside the cabin you could see that it was once heated by a wood stove and an electric radiator.  The radar facility was only 100 yards away, so getting electricity to this ski area would have been easy.

Not much inside the cabin.  A packing box with "Fire Island" stamped on it.  And a shelf with a bunch of old cans on it.  The wood stove was gone.

FireIsland3007.jpg (83369 bytes) FireIsland3028.jpg (78138 bytes) FireIsland3005.jpg (72905 bytes)
FireIsland3025.jpg (103396 bytes) FireIsland3026.jpg (117609 bytes) FireIsland3027.jpg (114098 bytes) FireIsland3029.jpg (89961 bytes)

The storage shed ...

In a dilapidated storage shed next to the warm-up cabin we noticed what seemed to be old ski racks.  Perhaps one day these racks were filled with white military issue wood skis for use by Fire Island USAF personnel.

FireIsTrip2038.jpg (44455 bytes)

Also in the storage shed I found the remnants of a leg splint (I think!?).  If a skier broke his or her leg, they could slide this padded leather section under the base of the leg by the hip.  And then use straps (that are no longer on this splint) to immobilize the injured leg ... so the unfortunate skier could be moved and then flown to a hospital in Anchorage.   I wonder if it every had to be used !!

FireIsland3009.jpg (111725 bytes)

Fire Island Air Force Station Photos and Documents

Photos and Documents courtesy of The Online Air-Defense Radar Museum, www.radomes.org/museum/

A picture of Air Force skiers on the Fire Island ski hill in 1967.  You can see the pipeline swath to the right and some of the rope tow on the left.

This photo is from a 1967 "Airman Magazine" article entitled: "Those Lights Are A Year Away!"  This title refers to the fact that Air Fore servicemen signed up for one year contracts of Fire Island duty.  That meant no leaving Fire Island for a whole year!  All the while lights from the City of Anchorage wink and twinkle from a few miles away.  To read this article, click on the pages below:

FireIslandAirman0467-1.jpg (80690 bytes)             FireIslandAirman0467-2.jpg (83845 bytes)

Below:  (left) An excerpt from a 1960's "Guide to AAC Remote Stations" ... "a ski slope with instructors on duty",  (middle) Fire Island AFS patch, (right) Air Force Times Article from 5/28/1969 about the AFS closing.

(Click on any of the below articles or images to expand them)

FireIsalndAAC62.jpg (59765 bytes)

FireIslandAFSAK_patch.jpg (8380 bytes)
Fire Island AFS Call Sign:  Slugger
626thClosingAFTimes052869.jpg (51216 bytes)
These pictures, courtesy of The Online Air-Defense Radar Museum, show Fire Island AFS shots from 1959 and 1964

1959 Photos - the helicopter was the way personnel would be transported to and from Elmendorf AFB.

FireIslandAFSAK59helo.jpg (10700 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK59sign.jpg (11811 bytes)
FireIslandAFSAK59aerial.jpg (19480 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK-3.jpg (14382 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK59tower.jpg (8886 bytes)

FireIslandAFSAK-6.jpg (13870 bytes)

FireIslandAFSAK-4.jpg (14771 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK-5.jpg (11076 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK-9.jpg (13616 bytes)
FireIslandAFSAK-1.jpg (16430 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK-2.jpg (15583 bytes) FireIslandAFSAK-7.jpg (16593 bytes)
1964 Photos - notice the post-earthquake "cracks in the road" photo below. FireIslandAFSAK-8.jpg (19996 bytes)

Skiing wasn't the only entertainment at the Fire Island Air Force Station.  During the 50's and 60's the USO would come and give shows to boost morale.  Why are these pictures on this lost ski area site?  Because these pictures were taken just a few hundred yards from the Fire Island ski hill.  And surely - these gals must have gone skiing on the ski hill after their show.  Right !?!

FireIslandUSO-1.jpg (15220 bytes) FireIslandUSO-2.jpg (10949 bytes) FireIslandUSO-3.jpg (16679 bytes)
Aerial Photos (from 1996) of Fire Island and the Ski Area Location

terra4km.jpg (22174 bytes)

The picture on the left shows Fire Island in Cook Inlet, off the coast of Anchorage.  Kincaid Pak is the area below the airport.  The picture on the right shows Fire Island alone.  There is an airstrip on the North Point of the island.  And before the '64 quake there was an airstrip on the West Point.

terra2km.jpg (49781 bytes)

terra8m.jpg (65507 bytes)

Red circles in the pictures to the left and right show the location of the old ski area.

Click on any of these 4 images to enlarge them.


terra2m.jpg (132096 bytes)

The picture above zooms in on the old ski area.  Points of interest are explained:

A  -  The long red line shows where the rope tow exists.

B  -  This is the bottom of the ski hill.  This is currently the most open area of ski area.

C  -  The area at the top of the life contains the lift motor shack, a log warm-up cabin and remains of an old storage shed.

D  -  The cleared area with roads surrounding it is the former radar facility site.

E  -  I believe this swath in the trees is where the fuel pipeline to Shelter Bay was laid.


An Article about the Fire Island Ski Area
This is an article that Tim Kelley wrote for the November 2004 issue of "Nordic Skier" (a newsletter for Alaskan nordic ski clubs) and the October 2004 issue of "Our Times", the newsletter of retired FAA employees that were based in Alaska.

The Lost Ski Area of Fire Island

Like many skiers that frequent Kincaid Park, I often take in the awesome views of distant mountains from the park’s highpoints.  The Western Chugach to the east.  The Kenai Mountains to the south.  The volcanoes and peaks of the Aleutian Range and Tordrillo Mountains to the west.  The Alaska Range and Talkeetna Mountains to the north.


And like many Kincaid Park skiers, while gazing at distant peaks I often look right past Fire Island.  We folks in Anchorage don’t often think much of this little island.  This is probably because it’s a hard place to get to and there is not much of a reason to go there.  Besides glancing down at this island as we fly into the airport, we don’t pay much attention to it.


But this summer I found out there is more to Fire Island than many may think.  My wife and I got a permit to visit Fire Island from the Cook Inlet Region Corporation (CIRI) and we made three trips by boat to the island.  We found this deserted island to be a beautiful place to explore.  It is an island with an interesting history.  And it is an island that has long harbored a lost ski area.


That’s right.   There once was a ski area on Fire Island.  Half a century ago, 20 years before any trails were built at Kincaid Park, skiers were riding a rope tow and skiing down a small hill - 5 miles to the west of Kincaid.  There was even a small ski lodge and night skiing at Fire Island.


Back in the 80’s I remembered reading a newspaper article, which mentioned there was once a ski area at Fire Island.  So when we went to the island this summer, 20 years after reading the article, trying to find remains of this old ski area was a goal.  On our first trip it took a lot of bushwhacking but we finally located the ski area.  On a second trip we found the tow engine and ski lodge.  And on our third trip I tried to photograph as much of the ski area remains as I could.


So the obvious question is: “Who built and used this ski area?”  I figured the ski area had military or FAA roots, but I didn’t know the facts.  So I went searching on the Internet and I found Charlie Muhs.  Charlie is the editor of “Our Times”, the newsletter for FAA retirees that once worked in Alaska.  I asked Charlie if he could request from his colleagues any information about the ski area on Fire Island.  Thanks to Charlie I got some good feedback and was able to piece together some of the history puzzle of Fire Island and its ski area.


Jerry Brookman gave me some good historical information on Fire Island: In the early 1950’s the United State Air Force built a radar site on Fire Island (completion date was 1951).  This was one of the first four NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) radar sites the USAF built in Alaska.  The other three sites built during that time were at King Salmon, Galena and Murphy Dome, north of Fairbanks.  The USAF built the Fire Island radar site on a high (300’) hill  in the mid-southern section of the island.  The site had living quarters for up to 150 personnel stationed there, plus the needed infrastructure: operations and control center, a fuel storage facility, maintenance shops, a power plant, etc.  Roads from the radar site were built leading to landing strips at the north and southwest ends of the island (however the southern strip was destroyed by the ’64 earthquake).


Another essential item that had to be developed was a pipeline to get diesel fuel from fuel barges docked in Shelter Bay, on the west side of the island, up to the site.  It is my theory, based on aerial maps and the location of pipeline remains on the island, that the pipeline was the catalyst for the ski area.  To get the pipeline up to the radar site, a large swath of the hill to the southwest was bulldozed.  After the pipeline was laid in this section and covered, a nice wide, open slope existed to the southwest of the radar facility.


USAF personnel working at Fire Island were stationed there.  Meaning – they were stuck there.  There was no popping into Anchorage after work for beer and dancing.  They were forced to devise their own on-island entertainment.  So I figure a group of them said: “Hey – we’ve got this nice skiable hill right here, and lots of time, so lets build a rope tow!”  And the ski area happened.  A rope tow with electric lights on the towers was built.  And a log warm-up hut for the ski area was erected.  Again, this is my theory.  If anyone knows that I’m wrong, I would love to have someone contact me and set the record straight.


In the early 60’s the work environment at Fire Island changed a bit.  The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) had recently been created and it was decided to make joint use of USAF radar sites.  So now a mix of FAA, USAF and Army personnel staffed the site.  According to Jerry Brookman, the Army folks where there to man a part of the control center used for early warning in connection with the Nike missile batteries at Site Summit, Goose Bay and Kincaid.


It was during the 1960s that the Fire Island ski area first got lost for the first time.  Former FAA’er Jim Vroomam said that during the 60’s and early 70’s he and his Fire Island colleagues had no knowledge of a ski area on the island.  So apparently the rope tow wasn’t used during the 60’s and early 70’s.  But the ski hill was used as a toboggan run then.  Susan Ross spent from 1971 to 1974 on Fire Island.  Her husband was an FAA mechanic working on the island.  During this time the staffing of Fire Island was waning, only 20 or so adults lived on the island with their families.  Susan mentioned that she has fond memories of zooming down the hill on homemade toboggans.  And that her husband and friends tried to resurrect the ski tow, but never got it operational.


But during the latter years of radar site operations, the ski tow did come back to life.  Mark Kelliher worked on Fire Island from 1974 to 1979.  He said that a group of his friends got the ski tow working again.  The catch was, the ski tow’s automatic shutoff didn’t work anymore.  So they needed someone to man the top of the rope to make sure no one got sucked into the tow motor shack!  Mark said “We only used [the lift] on weekends when we could get enough people to: run the lift, keep us in beer, food, etc.  It was an island family affair.”  Sounds like the ski area had a good last few years!


In 1980 a radar system was commissioned at the former Wildwood Air Force Station, near Kenai.  This facility replaced the need for the radar at Fire Island.  And manned operations at Fire Island were discontinued.  Only an automated VORTAC site remained from then on for guiding planes enroute to Ted Stevens International Airport.


So as of 1979 or 1980, when the doors of the radar site were last closed, the Fire Island ski area was again lost.  And this time I wonder if it was REALLY lost.  I say this because during the early 90’s, up until 1997, massive cleanup operations were undertaken on the Fire Island radar site.  All buildings, except the large Air Force water tank building, were razed.  But for some reason the ski area was untouched.  Why was this?  Was it because no one thought the ski tow engine, towers and cabin needed to be removed?  Or were the ski area remains so overgrown with alders and devil’s club that the ski area escaped detection and removal?


I imagine the FAA retirees that spent time on Fire Island have fond memories of this place - whether or not they skied or sledded the old ski hill.  Fire Island is a beautiful place with many diverse and unique features.  It’s a great place to explore.  And like Sharon Ross said there’s “so many things to do” on this island.  I definitely agree with Sharon.  And I am sure I too would have enjoyed living, working and, of course, skiing on Fire Island.


I’d like to give immense thanks to the following FAA Alaska retirees for their input on Fire Island history: Jerry Brookman, Charlie Muhs, Jim Vrooman, Sharon Ross, Mark Kelliher and Ken Odsather.

Research Correspondence 

[Jerry Brookman] Tim:  I'm sorry to say I can't help you [with information about the ski area].  I was stationed there from July 1962 to March 1966, but wasn't a skier then (am a very poor cross-country skier now, haven't had them on for years, and was never a downhill skier).  I don't recall any of the other FAA people there being skiers, either.  The ski area was probably constructed and used by Air Force Personnel (626th A.C.&W. Squadron, if that is any help).  I've forwarded this to Brock Laffoon, who was there during part of my tour of duty; another FAA retiree who was there during part of my tour of duty was Bert Salzman, who I believe is listed in the Alaskan Region FAA retirees list; I've tried e-mailing him in the past with no luck - maybe you will have more luck than I did.  Another person I recall being out there during part of my tour of duty is Phil Kimball, who lives in the Sterling area.  I'm trying to recall more of them, but the old brain cells are starting to wear out and quite a few years have passed since then!

Hope this helps.

-- Jerry Brookman

[Jerry Brookman]   Tim:  This is a P.S. to my earlier e-mail.  Your statement regarding the manning of Fire Island is a bit off.  The USAF (At that time, Alaskan Air Command, later under NORAD) was, indeed, put into operation sometime in the 1950s; I was a Philco Tech Rep at Cape Romanzof 8/15/57-8/15/58, and I recall hearing that Fire Island, King Salmon, Galena and Murphy Dome were the first four USAF Radar Sites in Alaska; the others were put in a bit later.  The Air Force Historical people may be able to help you out on this, as well as when the Air Force left there (sometime in the early to mid-70s, I believe).  The FAA had a VORTAC and Remote Air/Ground Communications site, separate from the USAF Radar Site, which I believe are still there.

Shortly after the formation of the FAA in the late '50s, it was decided to make "Joint Use" sites of many of the existing USAF Radar sites, to avoid duplication of effort; they were maintained by FAA personnel, and the data was remoted to both the FAA ARTCCs and USAF sites that used this data (I'm not sure what they were called - they used the USAF 'SAGE' - which I believe stood for "Semi-Automatic Ground Environment", I'm not sure why - but as of the early to mid 60s, the ones in Alaska had a local operations center, which was used for Early Warning and Ground Controlled Interception).

An enroute radar system was installed at the former Wildwood Air Force Station, near Kenai, in 1978, with an ARSR-3 radar.  It was intended to be commissioned in 1979, but bugs prevented this until 1980 (I worked there from November '78 until my retirement November 30, 1990).  Several of us who were assigned to the new site here were rotated out to Fire Island in '79, because the personnel there were getting pretty low in numbers (Phil Kimball is the only one I can recall being permanently assigned there at that time, although I believe there were one or two more.)

Again, I hope that this will be of interest to you.  Someone with writing ability should write a history of Fire Island - the helicopter crash with the tragic loss of two FAA Technicians and the pilot, and injury of the other two FAA technicians aboard, which I believe was in the early or mid-1990s, would be included in the later part of it.  Oh, I just remembered the name of another FAA technician who was there when I was - Mike Forrester - I believe he later transferred to the FAA Eastern Region, and retired there.  Another is Jon Warner, who was transferred to the FAA station at (I believe) White Plains, NY in (I believe) the late 60s; another is Bob Johnson (a common name, that won't help you any!), who I last heard of as an Assistant Sector Manager in North Dakota or Montana or someplace down there.  Another is Paul Clifton, who was A USCG retiree when he came to Fire Island in the early 60s; he would be in his 90s, I believe, if he's still living.  Another is Ed Dorsey (not the Ed Dorsey who died recently; his full name was Maurice E. Dorsey) who was living in this area a few years ago, but who I've lost touch with.
Best Regards, and good luck with your efforts,
-- Jerry Brookman

[Jerry Brookman]   Tim:  The FAA Complement on Fire Island when I was there was 11: one VOR/Comm Technician, one Radar SET, one Mechanic, and eitht Radar Technicians.   The USAF had somewhere around 100, and the Army 15 or 20 (The Army people where there to man a part of the control center used for early warning in connection with the Nike batteries at Site Summit, Goose Bay, and Anchorage International Airport).   As for the  800 - 1200, it's hard for me to imagine where they would put them, and what they would have been doing!  It's possible that when they were constructing the site originally, there might have been something like 200 (an estimate on my part) but I can't imagine more than that.

As for travel back and forth - the USAF had a regular mail service using the old "Flying banana" helicopters, I'm not sure of the designation - I think it was an H-21 or H-19 or something like that.   (One is preserved near the new USAF hospital on Elmendorf).  I hitched rides with them occasionally when I first got out there.  Mainly we flew chartered aircraft, Barton Air Service, Alaska Aeronautical, and  Wilbur's mainly.  A few FAA people had their own aircraft from time to time - Harold Prater, a relief tech, had a Luscombe, later bought by Jack Huffman, another relief; and Jim Cartwright, SET in the period around '65 - '66, had an aircraft - I don't recall what it was. I assume you know that back then there was an airstrip at the S.W. end of the island, desptoyed by the '64 earthquake and subsequent high tides; they had to use the beach at North point at low tide in summertime and the bigger of the lakes on the island on skis in wintertime to land fixed wing aircraft for a year or so after that, and helicopters at breakup and freezeup.  When I first got out there in the summer of '62, a couple of FAA people had a boat and used it a few times but due to the tides and lack of good place to keep it anchored on the Island, they got rid of it at the end of that summer.
I hope this is helpful.
-- Jerry Brookman

[Jim Vrooman]  Hello, Charlie!  I quizzed Wayland Lipscomb, who was the Section Chief for Fire Island in the 60's and early 70's, and also Gerry Brumley, my assistant during those years, both of whom visited Fire Island many times.  I am no stranger there myself, and have managed arrivals and departures from both airports on numerous occasions.  None of us have ever heard anything about a ski lift.  I suggest that it may have been something the Air Force played with during their earlier tenure there. It can't have been much of a ski run, as Fire Island is not all that tall.  In retrospect,  why on earth would anybody get their jollies over a subject like this?

 Cheers,  Jim Vrooman

[Sharon Ross]  Hello, my name is Sharon Ross and I spent from May, 1971 thru March 1974 on Fire Island.  My husband was a mechanic there with the FAA.  And we had a lot of fun at the old ski hill. To my knowledge the Air Force built the ski hill and put in the rope tow while it was a remote site.  The Air Force personnel that were stationed there were not allowed to go into Anchorage, unless on leave.  No weekend passes!!

The rope tow did not work while we were there, my husband and a couple other fellows tried to get it operational - I think they may have gotten it operational but we did not have rope or enough rope.  While we were there we used it as a toboggan hill - home made toboggans, at that.  There were less than 20 adults and the number of children varied while we were there.  Our apt building faced Turnagain Arm and the hillside around De Armoun and Rabbit Creek Roads.

On your visits to the island did you find the two lakes there?  I do have pictures of the island.  It might take me a bit of time to find them - mostly would be 35mm slides.  If you interested in more informtion please contact me.  I always thought Fire Island could be a resort type of area for the Anchorage bowl.  So many things to do.  Sharon R.

[Mark Kelliher]  I used the Fire Island ski hill up to the end. the families did more sledding than skiing. but did other things that I wish we made a movie of. the rope tow was made by air force personnel and was dangerous because it wouldn't shut off so it had to be manned. we made a ski jump at the bottom of the hill and Ernie Mack was the 1st and last person to try it out. As he was going down the hill for the first jump it came to everyone at the same time that it may not be a good idea to have a jump at the bottom of the hill. Ernie sailed off the jump and way into the air and kerflop. he landed perfect on the flat ground and almost broke both legs. a fun time was had by all.


Another lost ski slope was in Peters Creek, up the little valley to the right of peters creek. you go up Ski road there is a trail up there now and it's a winter snow machine area.  There was a tow rope there. It was closed before we moved here in 74. sorry no pictures

Mark Kelliher

[Mark Kelliher]  It was when they closed down the radar and opened the radar at Kenai. after that no one lived on the Island they maintained the VOR from Anchorage. I can't remember what year that was.  The air force put the lift in in the late 60's long after they made the slope. We only used it on weekends when we could get enough people to: run the lift, keep us in beer, food, etc. it was an island family affair. Just like the heated swimming pool we made for the summer.

Mark Kelliher

[Ken Odsather - 02 Nov 2004 email]  Hi, my name is Ken Odsather and I was stationed on Fire Island from 1970 to 1973 as a NAVAIDS and Communications Technician.  I enjoyed reading the articles submitted from names that were familiar in my earlier days.

Let me start by saying that before I came on board with the FAA, I worked Civil Service at Elmendorf from 1967 to 1970.  I worked for the GEEIA organization, equivalent to our F&E Branch.  I made several trips to Fire Island, replacing equipment or upgrading equipment, etc.  During the winter trips the ski tow was used only on the weekends, everyone worked during the day and while lights had been put on the hill, the only time that they were used was on the weekends.  Fire Island was an Air Force Radar Facility and used as a backup to the Elmendorf FYQ-9 Radar/Computer system, one of many locations around Alaska that tracked aircraft traffic, especially military and foreign.

Like Sharon Ross said in her letter, people stayed on the Island and there was not a lot of things to do.  Saturday was the big day at the ski hill and Sunday was the day of healing.  The NCO Club could be pretty wild on Saturday nights.

I do not have any pictures of the ski lodge or skiing, they seem to have gone the way of timeless archives.  I do have fond memories of our FAA outings, the warm up hut, the old military shelving that we tore apart to get the 3' by 6' sheets of metal.  We rolled the front of the metal back and hooked a piece of wire to the front, then everyone that could get on, hang on or be dragged flew down the hill.  It is a wonder that we didn't decapitate ourselves on those missiles.  Someone would drive the 6-pack truck around the road and pick us up.  We made a lot of our own beer, imported it when necessary, we had a lot of parties with great food, looked across the inlet at Anchorage thinking that we had it better on the Island than the folks in Anchorage.  We always had something to do and good folks to do it with.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

Of some interest, the residents of the Island were myself, Ken Odsather and former wife Gayle, Joe and Geri Cassel, Carter and Sharon Ross, Floyd and Jane Lindholm, Barak and Melba Popart, Harry Bartells and his wife, Ernie Mack and his wife, Tarry and Barbara Beyers, Jim Cartright, Felix Schnider and his wife, Jon Escala and I forget Mr. Wilson's first name.

There were 3 lakes on the Island, Big Lake, Little Lake and Hidden Lake.  We had moose, coyotes, a lynx and all kinds of birds.

What a wonderful group of people, a ton of fun together and memories to last a lifetime.



[Dave Hanneman - 15 Nov 2004 emails]  

Mr. Kelley,
I read your story about the Fire Island ski area in the retired FAA employee newsletter.  Interesting story.  I've been to the island several times but didn't know about the ski area.  One thing about your story I wanted to correct though.  The remaining FAA building you mention (the one with the big old fuel tank) is not an FAA building. It was the Air Force's.  And the tank is a water tank.  Fuel tanks are designed differently.  When I removed the abandoned FAA buildings, the Air Force's water building was the only building they had left - and their tennis court.  Did you see that?
Dave Hanneman


Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info about Fire Island.  I will make the corrections to the web site tonight.  I'll have to admit ... I missed the tennis court.  I didn't see it.  I'll probably be heading back out to Fire Island next year (it's a fun place to hike around and camp at)  So I'll look for it.
By the way - what year(s) did you clean up the FAA buildings?
Thanks again,


The FAA removed its dead buildings in 1997.  Mainly 2 big apartments and then some smaller buidings CIRI had previously wanted to save.  Previosuly most of the buildings on the island were Air Force - they had a lot more people and infrastructure than the FAA ever did.  The Air Force had removed all its buildings (except the water building) before 1997.  You can still find concrete peices in the area - it looks like they used explsoives. The tennis court is on the west side of the Air Force's cleared area and in the brush now - not in the trees though. As you're standing with your back to the front of the water building, the courts are
at about 2 o'clock - I think - and maybe about 100 to 200 yards away.



Then actually ... I did see the tennis court area.  I looked over there and thought - hey, that's a helicopter landing pad.  I should have taken a closer look!

Thanks for the info,



Knowing the Air Force, maybe it was. I'm not positive it was for tennis - maybe for both.

[Norm Odsather - 18 Mar 2005 email]  

Howdy, my Name is Norm Odsather, I too lived in Fire Island (with my father who seemed to forget that he had 2 children and a dog on the island along with he and his wife). At the time I was about the all of going on 2 when we moved out to the Island. Though many memories of the place are foggy for me as we had moved off back into Anchorage somewhere in 1973 when I was 5ish. I know this website is supposed to be about lost ski hills and stories about them and their places in history but it looks like inadvertently you have created what looks like the single most and probably only history of Fire Island and the people that lived there for which I think is great. Having Lived in Anchorage for all but the 3 earlier years of my life which were spent on Fire Island I find that people that I talk to especially pilots seem to be mystified that any one ever lived there at all and always find my self looking over and remembering when I drive by a vantage point from which I can see the Island.
Life on the Island as I remember it was a life of creativity for the workers and their families to help pass the time. I don't remember the ski hill, possibly because due to common sense with the sleds they were building in my fathers renditions of the use of the hill they figured that small children were too hard to hold onto and projectiles to be ejected doing light speed down the hill. For us (the children), the hill that was along side our apartment complex was hill enough to send us down. My father mentioned the brewing of beer and we still have most if not all of our equipment from those brewing days. I do remember ice skating on the rinks there and the biggest thing my father did there to pass the time was to rebuild his first airplane out there, a Piper PA-12. He used one of the empty buildings as his work shop and more than likely the help of the people that worked out there to get the job done. At the time the PA-12 was the plane for us, a family of 3 until my brother Martin was born in Anchorage in 1971. The story always goes that my father couldn't take my mother in to the hospital to have him until he brushed his teeth. Any ways after that we had to sell the PA-12 and buy a Cessna 170 which had 4 seats, enough for the family and Patches our family dog. We used to keep our planes tied down if I remember right on a runway on the beach with several other planes. We had the world in our hands from the island with the planes. If you wanted to go out for breakfast it was a little commute, but Kenai, Palmer, Wasilla, Anchorage and other points were just a hop skip and a jump from there. We used to fly to my grandparents then cabin, now retirement home on Wasilla lake in the winters and land on the ice there. Dad has a great story of flying out a Christmas tree to the island strapped to the side of our PA-12 and all of the aerodynamic controls of flight it reeked havoc with. Also the stories of flying out there on windy and turbulent days that he knew he shouldn't be flying and especially with my mother who hated to fly and the repercussions there after from mother. There was mention in one of the articles on your website about something like arts and craft equipment. I do remember a kiln out there and mom pouring and making a nativity set with the molds that were out there. I think mom got those in the divorce and may still have them after all of these years. Dad crafted many Ptarmigan Whistles out there, for those who don't know what a Ptarmigan Whistle is, I won't ruin it for those of you who do! ;-) The only other thing I do remember is that we had or at least there was a 1957 Chevrolet pickup truck that we drove on the island with the exhaust stacks up the back of the cab. We called it the putt-putt truck because that was the sound it made out the exhaust.
Anyways, I attached several pictures from our time on Fire Island. Several are of our first plane before it's complete rebuild. I'm not sending pictures to brag on the plane, but in the background are pictures of the buildings, radar domes and other complexes. Do note that in one of the pictures looking from right to left over the back of the plane you will notice the empty bases of the radar domes with the domes missing, these were taken in 1970 which is 6 years after the picture you have of a truck unloading cargo at the same warehouse in 1964. I did include one picture of the completed plane parked out on the Fire Island airfield. Also attached is a picture of 2 shots out of our apartment windows taken Christmas 1970 and the views we had from our home. I do also have if your interested, some pictures of a 4th of July picnic held on Little Lake in 1971. That weekend was the only time my grandmother ever flew with my dad and was the only visitor from our family to come out to see us on the island for the 3 years we lived out there.
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my ramblings of what I remember of life on the island! Keep up the good work on the website! Thanks to you we haven't been forgotten!
Cheers, Norm!

1970 Photos courtesy of Norm Odsather.

The pictures at the top are from the Odsather's apartment window.  At this time many of the buildings were abandoned and empty.  [Left] Note the dome has been removed from the building on the right.  [Right] Odsather's plane tied down on strip at north end of Fire Island.

(Click on any of these images to expand them)

[Tony Hartt - 04 and 05 July 2005 emails]  

We used to ski the POL line on Fire Island. For those who do not know where Fire Island is it is in the Cook Inlet. The 626 AC&W Squadron was there and so was I in 1957 and 1958. It was the A/2C then.

The POL line on Fire Island was from the Main Petrol Tank at the top of the hill there was a clearing on both sides of the above ground petrol or furl line down to the motor pool. It was about 300 yards and we used to ski and sled this area with many collisions. great fun........It was a 15 month tour..

Tony Hartt
PS. I left the Air Force as a SSGT in 1966.

[Michael Forrester -  31 July 2005 email]  

Hi Tim
I ran across your article on the Fire Island ski run. I was stationed on Fire Island with the FAA from the summer of 1962 to July 1967. I remember the ski run. While I was there one of the Air Force intercept controllers who was a ski instructor offered to teach me to ski and showed me the ski run. Unfortunately I did not take him up on his offer. I remember the rope lift and believe it was operational at that time. I don't remember the exact year this was but believe it was about 1965 or so. My memory is that the run was fairly new, (a few years or less?), but how new I can't tell.
I remember the history of Fire Island during this period quite well since I recently wrote and had a book published and have a chapter about our time in Alaska in it. I arrived at Fire Island while the FAA was finishing the construction of the second housing building.
Mike Forrester

About Mike's book that has a chapter on Fire Island: The book's title is Tsuchino: My Japanese War Bride. It has been published by American Book Publishing of Salt Lake City, at their own expense, under their American Classics logo. A web site about the book can be found at: www.tsuchino.com. The book is available on Amazon.com as well as the publishers site and several others.

[Michael A. Kelly - 09 December 2005 email] 

I was stationed on Fire Island for the year of 1961. I enjoyed reading your page. It brought back a lot of memories. I skied that hill many times but there was no rope, we had to climb back up. I was on my way to Korea and my flight stopped in Anchorage back in the late 1980’s. I had a bush pilot leave me off at Fire Island. I couldn’t believe I was actually back in the place where I spent a year of my early manhood. Now I would love to take my grandchildren there. It will always have a magic place in my mind.

[Jud Bleser - 26 February 2006 email excerpt] 

I arrived at Fire Island in February 1969. The site was being deactivated and my time was spent dismantling the gear and burying it before shipping out to Cape Romanzof in July.

Three things I do remember vividly about Fire Island are:
1) When the tide goes out, Cook Inlet is nothing but mud.
2) Moose are really, really large animals.
3) As we were burying the equipment, this was my chance to finally see a radar scope tube (CRT) implode. Throughout my training at Kessler AFB, I was told to be careful handling the large tubes because if they crack, they will implode due to the vacuum. We threw the tube down the pit and it bounce several times before coming to a rest unharmed. After throwing several large rocks at it, the tube finally imploded with a low thumping noise... what a letdown.

[Daryl Butcher - 29 March/ 01 April 2006/ 17 March 2007 email excerpts] 
I was the Hughes Aircraft rep. on Fire Island (and Ft. Richardson) in 60-61-62.  There was an ice rink just S. of the buildings above the slope on Fire Island.  No tow or anything at that time.  Most of the skiing was simply cross country.  Great site to ruin your liver because there was precious nothing to do but drink and it was cheap in the O-club.  Flew Barton air service from Anchorage, H19 bent banana helicopters, the little Bell-Bubble (Think "MASH") and Bird Dog observation planes to and from the island.  Also Otter and Beaver.  Equipment was flown in with even bigger aircraft that could barely land on the short strip.  I still have a bunch of pictures from that era.
Also saw service at all 9 of the Nike sites in the state and installed equipment them and on Fire Island and Murphy's Dome
I'll include an image of Fire Island in case you are interested.  You can see the berm that was flooded to make an ice skating pond at the extreme left below the two storage tanks.   That would be just above the top of the ski slope although I don't recall anyone skiing there when I was there in the early 60s ... the year after Alaska became a state and before the earthquake.
Left: Ice rink at extreme left.

Right: Control room at Fire Island

Regarding the army presence on Fire Island: Yes, the army had equipment, maintenance people and a station on the control center floor (dais) on Fire Island.  I helped design the signal corps equipment while working at Hughes Aircraft Co. at Fullerton, Ca. in '59/60.  I then installed gear at all nine Nike Sites in Alaska and at the two control centers ... Fire Island and Murphy's Dome (Fairbanks), helped get maintenance organized and stayed to maintain the equipment for nearly two years.
There had to be some way to coordinate the AF interceptors and B47s with the Nike anti-aircraft batteries so all of the group of Nike sites around Fairbanks and the group around Anchorage were netted by microwave and digital data passed between the separate groups.  The tracking radar information from each Nike site was digitized and passed through a Western Electric modem (almost phone booth size) and from microwave to the control center (Fire Island or Murphy's Dome).  Three consoles at Fire and Murphy displayed the local radar and synthetic markers showing what the Nike tracking radars were tracking.  A line was drawn from the target to the responsible Nike site so the commander knew which battery was engaging what.  Friendly and hostile aircraft were indicated with concave or convex half-circles and a battery lock-on was indicated by a closed circle.  Height was indicated by a vertical line from the target symbol.  Information from the AF interceptor control system was also displayed so the commanders could tell where each interceptor was going and why.  Two of the three co-located consoles were for Nike control and push buttons could be used to command the batteries from Fire or Murphy.  The third console was separated by a couple of feet from the other two by a small table and was devoted to the AF commander.  The idea was that the AF and Army commanders could be seated side by side and see the situation at the same time so they wouldn't shoot each other.  In front of them was the big plastic plotting board (30X60 feet?) with GIs writing on it (backwards) with grease pencils while standing on catwalks.  We would regularly see Russian Bears plotted waaaaaaaaaaaay inside Alaskan air space.  The civilian air traffic from Seattle was also plotted and they were usually way off course because they tended to "island hop" instead of taking the shortest route.  They didn't like to think about going down to certain death in the cold ocean.
All of this is VERY similar to the most advanced systems in use today in spite of the infant state of the semiconductor technology ... Hughes equipment had a lot of transistorized circuitry while almost all of the AF equipment was vacuum tubes.  It operated 24/7 in any weather.  A whole lot of people were involved.  The entire state Fire Control system was in full operation late in the summer of 1960 so that the two regions of the state system were integrated such that all of the Nike sites in each region knew what was going on and AF and Army were much better integrated.
I have attached a picture of the Fire Island control room.  On the left and right of the center plotting board are "wings".  The one on the left showed the Nike missile and warhead compliment and the right showed the overall Alaska region.
The three AF/Army consoles are in the front and far right.  Most of the other radar displays are for military interceptor and traffic control.
My equipment (about 20X6X5 feet) was located in the basement under this room.  The AF tracking radar was to the left (North) in a radome and the height finder was to the right (South) in another radome.
This room is arranged in descending daises.  Entry was (usually) from the rear at the top through black curtains.  Outside that area was a small lounge and coffee room.  Directly out the door and down stairs from the rear of this picture "snow sheds" could be accessed to walk in closed tunnels out of the weather.  The officer's club was directly West from this location nearly 100 yards.  You could either run across through the weather or S. in one of the tunnels, under the road and back N. through the enlisted and officers barracks.  This room was located at the N. end of the cluster of buildings and at the opposite end of the "world" from the "ski slope".
I was quartered about half of my time in Alaska just feet S. of the officer's club on Fire and the other half of my time was at Ft. Richardson and the nine Nike batteries and Murphy's Dome.  The Murphy's Dome site was very similar to Fire Island although they had five Nike batteries at five separate locations while the Anchorage region had four Nike batteries at three locations ... "A" was a dual site.
I watched all of the first set of Nike firings from Summit in (what?) 1961.  Before that when the system was "bought off" by the military, just about every 102 and B47, etc. in the state was airborne for the exercise and the sky around Anchorage was covered with the lace of vapor trails.
[Paul Maxwell - 25 Noember 2006 email] 

As I said, out of the hundreds of sides I took on the island during 1968 I only have a few that you might be interested in.  I’m still in the process of going through them so if I find any more I will let you know.  No foul if you think they are duplicates of what you already have and don’t want to use them.  I have reduced the file size to what may be appropriate for your web site but will send you larger files if you ask.

[TK: info in pictures (see above)]

One story that involves the slope:  We had a guy from Louisiana that I don’t think ever saw snow before.  He was athletic and after watching us for a while thought he would try and master skiing.  He went and got some skies, boots and poles and came back to the top of the hill.  He put everything on and stood at the top of the hill, refusing any advice we tried to give him.  He pointed his skies down hill and pushed off.  It was amazing that he was able to keep his balance while he raced straight down the middle of the slope.  I have no idea how fast he was going when he got to the bottom but it was very fast.  Not knowing how to stop he raced across the stopping area, up and over the berm at the edge of the clearing and went airborne into the woods.  Expecting the worst we all went racing toward the bottom but before we could get there he came walking out of the woods carrying his skis, seemingly no worst for the wear.  After a bit of nervous laughter he walked back up the slope, turned in his skies and left.  I never saw him on the ski slope again.

That’s a great site you have Tim; keep it up.



[Larry W. Marbach - 31 July 2008 email] 
I was stationed at Fire Island Alaska, May 1965-May 1966 and remember the building of the new ski area and warm-up cabin. I have a very good picture of the warm-up cabin right after it was built and a couple of fair picture of the slope itself, they are on slides so if you are interested I'll put them on my computer so I can email them.   I also have a few pictures of the island and the air force site.
Thank you for the website.
Larry W. Marbach

[Terry Talbot - 01 April 2012 email] 

I was stationed on fire Island from December 1965 to December 1966. I have pictures of the ski slope and have much information about the slope. My roommate and I were about the only ones to use the slope during the year I was there. He and I spent two days trail blazing a ski trail just right of the ski slope to provide a more challenging ski experience. Additionally, there was a toboggan run to the far right of the ski slope that was seldom used by anyone. 

I maintained the slope and the jeep engine that operated the rope tow. 

The activity officer gave us the key to the rope tow engine and the cabin on the slope as well as a key to the supply room where several sets of Head skis and Gresvig boots were kept and available for checkout. I am amazed at the pictures that have been displayed on the web site, it immediately took me back to those days. I have a few pictures of the slope the cabin (both outside shots as well as inside shots). I would be happy to share them with anyone that would like to see them and answer any questions anyone might have about the slope as well as the facility.

Terry Talbot


[Wayne Pavich - 16 May 2015 email] 

I was stationed on the island from April 1968 through April 1969 and had my first skiing experience on the aptly named Breakneck Hill.  A fellow "inmate" and I decided to try a little nighttime skiing.   Having never skied before, I practiced going east and west at the top of the hill and snow plowing for a while and figured there was nothing more to learn", to quote the Kingston Trio song Super Skier.  I pointed my ski tips down the slope and let her rip.  Having no idea how to hold an edge in order to turn, all I could do was hold on tight as I headed straight down the hill picking up speed all the way.  By the grace of God I made it all the way down without wiping out.  It was quite obvious more practice was was needed.  BTW, the tow rope was working, otherwise that first run would have been my last.

Thanks for the website.  I just happened across it via a Google search.  The pictures brought back a lot of memories.  I'm in the process of moving right now but once I get settled I'll try to locate the few pictures I took while stationed there.  I know I have one of me the gun range with a .22 cal revolver I purchased at the BX.

Thanks again,

Wayne Pavich
[Radomes Inc. - http://www.radomes.org/museum excerpt] 

"Murphy Dome and Fire Island became operational in September 1951 as control center sites. They were followed by King Salmon (control center), November 1951; Tatalina and Campion (ground control and intercept), April 1952; Cape Lisburne, February 1953; Cape Romanzof, Tin City, and Northeast Cape (all surveillance sites), April 1953; Indian Mountain, November 1953; Sparrevohn, March 1954; and Cape Newenham (surveillance), April 1954. Additional surveillance sites were later added. Kotzebue and Ohlson Mountain (near Homer) became operational in February 1958, Middleton Island in May 1958, Unalakleet in April 1958 and Bethel in July 1958. Fort Yukon became operational as a ground control intercept site in April 1958. ...

"... The surveillance sites at Bethel, Middleton Island, and Ohlson Mountain were closed on 15 May 1963, leaving a void in the radar coverage to the south. Headquarters Alaskan Air Command, and, to some extent the Alaskan Command, provided command and control until the reactivation of an AC&W control group in 1977.

[Radomes Inc - http://www.radomes.org/museum excerpt] 


Site Number: F10AK0495
Fed. Facility ID: AK09799F292700
Hazards: N
County: Owner: NATIVE CORP

Site Description:
Fire Island Air Force Station is located 2 miles west of the International Airport in Anchorage, in Cook Inlet. All but the northwest corner of the island was reserved. The site was used from 1950 to 1969 for an aircraft control and warning station. Improvements constructed by the Air Force included 33 buildings and structures utilized for operations, administration, maintenance, communications, a multi-purpose dormitory, radome towers, utilities, and an airstrip.

Site History:
Tract A (3,980 acres) was withdrawn from public domain by PLO 693, 26Apr50, amended by PLO 3920, 20Jan66. Tract B (40 acres) at the extreme southwest tip, from the U.S. Coast Guard by Use Permit, 16Sep50. This station served as the regional operations center (ROC) for the South Region of Alaska, while a ROC for the northern area was built at Murphy Dome near Fairbanks. The Fire Island ROC was declared excess 28Jul69, and the site environmentally restored by the Air Force in 1986.

Site considered "clean" after Air Force restoration in 1986 (see report U.S. Air Force, 11th CEOS, Environmental Restoration, Fire Island). No site visit conducted. NOFA sent to NPD 7Dec93, approved by CENPD-PM-MP 11Jan94

An early history of Fire Island (compiled by Tim Kelley from "Shem Pete's Alaska - The Territory of the Upper Cook Inlet Dena'ina")

According to Dena'ina legend this is how Fire Island came to be:  The Nulchina clan were living in the sky on the frozen clouds.  They stayed on an island 'hagi', or basket, up in the clouds.  When they landed on Mt. Susitna a whirlwind struck the basket-island they lived on and it was blown off the mountain and landed in Cook Inlet, where it turned into Nutul'iy [Fire Island].  Nutul'iy is translated as 'Object That Stands in the Water'.

Dena'ina peoples lived and fished on this island.  Within the last 150 years there was a village on Fire Island.  But it was destroyed by an epidemic and the survivors moved south across Cook Inlet to Point Possession.

The Russians called this island 'Ostrov Mushukhli' - Ostrov being Russian for Island and Mushukhli is believed to be an approximation of Nutul'iy.  In 1794 George Vancouver named this place Turnagain Island.  The name Fire Island was established in 1895 when Captain James Cook rowed ashore here and ... made a fire !!

Do you have further information, stories or pictures that you would like to contribute about this ski area?